Australia Permanent General Skilled Immigration Visa- What Are The Types And Benefits?
Applicants interested in becoming a permanent resident visa holder as a General Skilled Migrant has two major visa options:
1. Skilled independent migration – Applicants who qualify through this procedure of migration are entitled to work and live in Australia, devoid of any restrictions. These permanent residents of Australia may also apply for the Australian citizenship. Proficiency in English along with basic requirements, such as post secondary qualification is a must to qualify under this immigration category. Engineers from various streams, ICT and IT professionals, teachers, specific trades and medical professionals are occupations that are most likely to meet the pass mark requirements.
2. Sponsored migration – The guidelines and pass mark under the skilled independent migration are quite stringent. So, if you do not meet its requirements, you may consider apply for sponsored general skilled migration for Australia. If you have a relative, who is willing to sponsor you or are in a position to gate a state or regional nomination, you have a good chance of applying under this category.
You should carefully review the relaxed options under this category so as to achieve the required pass mark. Consult Australian immigration specialists for best advice to select the state that can provide sponsorship to you under this program. State nomination and the sponsorship processes needs to have in-depth understanding of the past precedents, it is thereby advisable to seek and accept expert help.
While the process may sound very restrictive and stringent, the end reward is that you are an Australian permanent resident visa holder. Following are the benefits and rights that you and your family get as an Australian permanent resident. This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.
As and Australian permanent residents, you and your family can:
- Permanently Live and work in Australia
- Study in Australia at school or university at subsidized fee plans as applicable to Australian residents and citizens
- Receive subsidized healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- Access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- Be eligible for and apply for Australian citizenship, subject to the residency eligibility criteria
- Sponsor people for permanent residence.
A permanent residence visa allows you to travel to and enter Australia for five (5) years from the date the visa is granted. The expiry of this visa does not affect your permanent resident status if you are in Australia. However, if you wish to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident after the initial visa has expired, you must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Your eligibility for an RRV will depend on the period that you have resided in Australia.
Summary: Permanent visas for general skilled workers in Australia allow these workers to work and live in Australia. If the immigration has been under the independent migration category, the person will then not only enjoy restriction-free living in Australia but also stands eligible for citizenship in Australia. However, if you have state or territory nomination or relative sponsorship, you can migrate to Australia under the sponsored general skilled migration as well. The applicants not qualifying for Permanent visas should look at applying under the provisional visas. An immigration specialist is best placed to guide you through provisional visa options and formalities.